Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: Chit-chatChange source type
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Change source type

I use RM7 and have many newspaper clippings that have a source type of Newspaper, Online Images.  Other newspaper clippings are Free-Form.  I would like to change all of the Newspaper, Online Images source types to Free-Form source types.  Is there a way to do this through SQL instead of creating a new Free-Form source and then merging it with the Newspaper, Online Images source one source at a time?

I have looked at the post below and am not sure if it applies to what I'm trying to do.

Source Templates #sources #sourcetemplates #rmnocase #conversion #editable

Thanks, as always, for any help!
Jaime

Of course it is technically possible at the cost of 1 or 2 SMOPs. That was an acronym I learned from the developer of the SoundDroid out of the Lucas Films Droidworks in the '80s. It stood for "Simple Matter of Programming" and, back then, 1 SMOP was worth about $50k. Nobody has contributed a solution here and for good reason - it requires high level programming on top of SQL.

There might be a way to effect such a conversion at some loss of other data. Simply do a GEDCOM export without RM Special Features and import into a new database.

Thanks.  I thought this was too much to hope for.

I have written a script to change source type for groups of sources, but it is not designed to deal with free form type.

I use the script regularly.

See-

https://github.com/ricko2001/Genealogy-scripts

and look at the folder- RM-Switch source templates

Let me know if you'd like to try it.