Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Deleting Duplicate Facts in Mass

Page 1 of 2Next

Several years ago I had a problem backing up on Ancestry. On a number of my people I have duplicated facts/events multiple times (50+ times). I have imported my tree into RM8 hoping that there was a was to select all those duplicate lines and delete them in mass. The RM Teck wasn't able to help, but suggested I ask you guys.  Any suggestions?

Provided they are truly duplicate in every detail it should be possible. Are you looking to do it yourself or for someone to do it for you? I would import your Ancestry Tree into RM7 and work on that database file rather than on a RM8 file. The risk is low that RMInc will modify the RM8 database structure at this point but they are very clear that you should not commit your working database to the Community Preview pre-releases because there is no backward compatibility. Wait for the release version and then a couple of updates before upgrading your database file.

Well... I have already spent a couple of days making corrections om my RM8 database, so I don't want to start over.. Should I wait till RM8 is done?  How difficult will it be to delete the duplicate facts/events?  Thanks, BILL

The risk in advancing your primary database in RM8 Preview is that some bug may corrupt your data or a structural change may render your database incompatible with some update. RMInc recommends reimporting from RM7 or Ancestry with each update of RM8 in case a previous one has adversely affected your database. I've no idea what the probability of adverse outcomes might be at this stage nor when we might see the public release of RM8. And public release does not mean that it is stable and reliable.

Deleting duplicate records from the EventTable is relatively easy but there may be surprises when first attempted that could raise questions. What is more challenging is cleaning out all the records in other tables that point to those deleted events, e.g., citations, media, Ancestry... I made a script that does a good job for RM7 but have yet to update it for RM8.

Is there a way to  import my RM8 data into RM7?

The only way using RM is to export a GEDCOM from 8 and import into 7. That can be lossy even from RM7 to RM7 (see  GEDCOM & DnD transfer losses #gedcom) and possibly moreso from RM8 to RM7. No harm in trying. It's conceivable that a SQLite procedure could do the conversion but it hasn't been done to my knowledge.

What if I export my RM8 file into a new tree in Ancestry, then pull it into RM7?

That's another potentially lossy transfer. You could try both and inspect for any possible advantage of one over the other. Given that your database originated from TreeShare and if you haven't exploited RM special features in subsequent work, either way might be okay.

I'm  totally frustrated.  I tried to export from RM8 to a new tree in Ancestry, but could not find where to change the link file.  Any Suggestions?

Better to ask that in the Facebook group for RM8 Community Preview Users. I'm certainly not strong on using TreeShare and I've seen some reports of problems with uploading. If your database is linked to the Ancestry Tree from whence it came, it cannot be uploaded to a new AFT without disconnecting it first. Make a copy of your database file and keep one linked in case you decide to stick with what you've got.

Page 1 of 2Next