Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral: Chit-chat"permanent" views in RM
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

"permanent" views in RM

If you create several "permanent" views in RM -- this should not have any performance issues until that particular view is used, correct?

I know that RM developers might front on this and their would likely need to be removed before sending  database to RM if ever needed. Was wondering the reality.

I think that's the case and have done so. I think of it as a stored query. No results until it's invoked and the RM software cannot do so because the View name cannot be the same as any table that it knows about.

As to RM developers discovering your Views, they would need to have a reason to look at the database with sqlite. AFAIK, Tech Support does not use sqlite although Jackson Anderson might be the exception.

kevync has reacted to this post.
kevync

Hi Tom

yes Stored Query was the way I always thought about it.

Thanks, Kevin

I had similar thoughts.
I was considering creating a change log table that would be populated by triggers on other tables.

RM probably doesn't routinely check the full database DDL schema (or whatever it's called) looking for non standard elements, but I can imagine that during a schema upgrade, it might.
One could test by adding some extra tables, views etc. in a RM v8 database and confirm upgrade to the v9 schema went ok. Doesn't say anything about future upgrades however.