Please excuse the recent behaviour of this WordPress site. You have likely heard nothing by email from it since March 2 until yesterday and then some of you may have received flurries of duplicate messages. New subscribers probably received no confirmation email nor password reset notices. This post may not be delivered to subscribers. I’m working on correcting the problem but there seem to be multiple issues and it is proving difficult to isolate the causes:
- starting March 2, every notice failed with an error “Could not instantiate mail function”
- appears to have been resolved, more or less, by adding a second MX record and revising the priority of the first in the sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com domain – that just seems weird
- resending notices from the WP Mail Logging plugin has revealed a bug causing them to multiply; the plugin is no longer actively supported
- resending notices such as comments on blog posts fail because the address (From:) firstname.lastname@example.org is “invalid”, despite being valid until March 2; must be an issue with the Hostinger mail server. Resending notices from the Forum uses a different, valid (From:) address (but get multiplied)
- phpmail() function is said to be unreliable; Hostinger is recommending the use of a SMTP plugin which I am looking into.
I may lose the log of blocked notices or never get to resending ones that should have gone to you, such as password resets.